Saturday, September 6, 2014

Excerpt from an Isaac Babel short story

From the short story "Guy de Maupassant." I love the line, have long, long loved the line -- think about the line frequently -- that reads, "I was sober and could have walked a chalk line, but it was pleasanter to stagger, so I swayed from side to side, singing in a language I had just invented." In the story, Raisa is a publisher's wife in St. Petersburg who wants to translate a new edition of Maupassant's works. Polyte, a literature professor whose French is better, is hired to assist her. They drink a lot. (In this scene, it's a whole bottle of very expensive Muscatel.) He falls for her, and "makes love" to her, in that old-fashioned sense, that 19th Century sense, where it might mean sex, but it might only mean attentiveness, flirtation, confessions and maybe a few stolen kisses. Or a grope here and there. Whatever it means, to me it can seem simultaneously more chased and more lecherous. I like that. The 29 books he refers to are the works of Maupassant, to whose greatness the story by Babel is a worthy tribute.


Raisa held out a glass to me. It was the fifth.
      "Mon vieux, to Maupassant."
      "And what about having some fun today, ma belle?"
       I reached over to Raisa and kissed her on the lips. They quivered and swelled.
      "You're funny," she mumbled through her teeth, recoiling.
      She pressed herself against the wall, stretching out her bare arms. Spots began to glow on her arms and shoulders. Of all the gods ever put on a crucifix, this was the most ravishing. 
      "Be so kind as to sit down, Monsieur Polyte."
...
        Night had blocked the path of my famished youth with a bottle of Muscatel '83 and twenty-nine books, twenty-nine bombs stuffed with pity, genius and passion. I sprang up, knocking over the chair and banging against the shelf. The twenty-nine volumes crashed to the floor, their pages flew open, they fell on their edges...and the white mare of my fate went on at a walking pace.
      "You are funny," growled Raisa.
      I left the granite house on the Moyka between eleven and twelve, before the sisters and the husband returned from the theater. I was sober and could have walked a chalk line, but it was pleasanter to stagger, so I swayed from side to side, singing in a language I had just invented. Through the tunnels of the streets bounded by lines of street lights the steamy fog billowed. Monsters roared behind the boiling walls. The roads amputated the legs of those walking on them.
                                                                     - From "Guy de Maupassant" by Isaac Babel
                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment